- Date of birth: January, 28th, 1979
- Nationality: Italian
- Resident in Berlin, Germany
Senior Machine Learning Lead
Quandoo – Berlin, Germany – (04/2017-now)
Senior Machine Learning Lead. My main responsibilities are related to the design, research, and modeling of:
- Recommendation systems
- Review auto-classification and analysis
- Review topic modeling
- Image sentiment-analysis
- Machine Learning applied to logistics optimization problems
- Deep Learning models for image recognition and labeling
Senior Technical Author
Packt Publishing – Birmingham, UK – (12/2016-now)
Author of Machine Learning and Deep Learning Books.
- Machine Learning Algorithms (2017)
- Getting Started with NLP and Deep Learning (2018) (Video)
- Fundamentals of Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn (2018) (Video)
- Mastering Machine Learning Algorithms (2018)
- Machine Learning Algorithms (2nd edition) (2018)
Senior Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Consultant
Software for Artificial Minds: Freelance consultant – (04/2013-03/2017)
AI Software Engineer, Data Scientist and Euro-project Manager involved in different business contexts (Public administrations, Utilities, NATO/military organizations, Healthcare and diagnostics informatics, Online advertising).
Main skills and methodologies:
- Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks, Deep Networks, Natural Language Processing, Reinforcement Learning
- OOA/OOD/OOP, AOP
- UML, MDA
- Agile, Scrum, XP
Languages and technologies:
- Python (2.x, 3.x), Java/J2EE, C/C++ (11 & 14), Scala, Wolfram Programming Language (Mathematica)
- Tensorflow, Theano, PyTorch, Caffe
- Hadoop (Map/Reduce, Hive, Pig, Tez, Spark)
- Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix
- Mobile applications, Android (SDK and NDK), OpenGL
- European project management (Europe 2014-2020 financial plans).Design of free Android applications:
- Pocket Requirements, an Android application that allows software engineers to collect and manage software requirements through UP (Unified Process) lifecycle.
- AlertMeWhen, an Android application that allows people to set alerts associated with their favorite places and get notified when walking nearby.
Computer Science Teacher
Gauss Institute – Rome – (12/2014-07/2015)
I managed five classes teaching different IT subjects: Networks and Systems, Technology and Design of IT Systems and Informatics.
Main topics: TCP/IP, LAN, WAN, UML/Architectural modeling, Requirements analysis, SRS, OOA/OOD/OOP, Java, Python, PHP, Cloud computing.
IT Selling Service Manager
Abbott Diagnostics – Rome – (11/2011-03/2013)
I was responsible for the Italian selling service/rental plan, and I was part of the Global Selling Service Team, involved in different international projects, meetings, and activities.
My main domestic responsibility has been related to IT pre-sales and consulting activities in the context of large tenders (Requirement analysis and UML solution design) or directly interfacing with the final customer.
I managed tools like NPS to check user satisfaction and modeled specific requirements using IEEE and UML standards.
During this experience, I was also involved in a Prosci Change Management course and certification in Delkenheim (Germany) ADD headquarter
IT Solution Manager
Abbott Diagnostics – Rome – (03/2010-10/2011)
I led a team of 9 IT Champions (mainly consultants) throughout Italy to promote and widespread new tailored diagnostics IT solutions as a part of our In-Vitro-Diagnostics offer.
Our approach has always been consulting-oriented, and we adopted ITIL v3, ISO/IEC 20000, IEEE 830-1998 and BPR techniques to improve work-flows, design enterprise integration and optimize software tool usage.
Moreover, I was mainly responsible for AIS (Abbott Informatics Solutions, a brand new division based on StarLIMS LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) technological platform. I managed the pilot projects in Italy (the first country in the world) for:
- Laboratory Information System (LIMS)
- Intelligent Warehouse Management
- Big-Data management, aggregation, and analysis
During this experience, I was also involved in several professional courses about:
- Project Management
- Advanced Selling Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Lean Six Sigma Consulting
- Blue Ocean Strategy
Selling to the C-Suite Skills and Diagnostics Technology.
Service & IT Consultant
Abbott Diagnostics – Rome – (04/2009-02/2010)
My main focus was selling services and value-added IT solutions for the Italian “in-vitro” diagnostics market. I managed a portfolio made up of: Remote instrument control, Warehouse management, Order management, Instrument management (integrated with existing LIS and ERP), Virtualization platforms.
I was a part of the Global Selling Service Team and was involved in different international meetings, projects, and strategical activities.
ICT Business Technology Consultant and Project Manager
Insiel – Rome – (03/2006-03/2009)
I was involved in large projects for Italian central public administrations, in particular:
- Ministry of Justice (UML Process analysis of criminal trials and plaintiff interaction and design of sequence and interaction diagrams).
- Ministry of Defense (Business and Technology Consultant of NATO Codification System – NCS – processes according to both to domestic and international standards imposed by NAMSA). My main tasks were: performing a requirement analysis and defining an SRS according to IEEE 830-1998 standards, modeling processes and entities (UML) and designing the architecture (UML, OOA/OOD). The project was developed using J2EE technologies (managed by JBoss), SOAP and XML databases.
- Techincal pre-sales support for Blood Bank Information Systems (Health-care IT).
Big Data and Analytics Summer School
University of Essex, UK – (2016)
Curation and management of big data, advanced techniques and methods including artificial intelligence and statistical methods, or applications of big data in fields ranging from business and finance to bioinformatics.
MPA, Master of Public Administration
University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, Italy – (2006-2007)
Dissertation title: “E-Government scenarios analysis with particular focus on Digital Signature Applications”. The Italian name for this Master Degree is “Master di II livello in Ingegneria delle Pubbliche Amministrazioni”.
M.Sc.Eng., Electronics Engineering
University of Catania, Italy – (1998-2005)
Specific Course of Studies: Automatic Controls and Adaptive Systems. Dissertation titled: “Development of an innovative computer system for analyzing MEG (Magneto-electro-encephalographic) cerebral signals”.
- Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence
- Deep Learning Specialization (Coursera)
- Computational Neuroscience (Certificate)
- Software Engineering
- Big Data, Hadoop, Spark, Hive
- Java/J2EE, C/C++, Python, Scala
- UML, OOA/OOD/OOP
- Android SDK and NDK
Prosci Change Management certified. Certified and Qualified Euro-project manager (Europe 2007-2013 and 2014-2020 financial plans).
Business Process Modeling and Reengineering, Product and project management, Account and stakeholder planning and management, Change Management, Customer Service and Relationship Management, NPS, Start-up management, Blue Ocean processes.
Software application modeling and design, UML/MDA, RUP, Agile methodologies, ITIL, ISO/IEC 20000, SOA, J2EE, Design Patterns and Enterprise Architecture Patterns, REST, Spring, Android, Node.js.
AI and automation skills: SCADA, ISA-95.
I’m also a creative and technical writer and I’ve published several papers and publications.
- Italian (mother tongue)
- English (Fluent, full business proficiency)
- IEEE Computer Society
- IEEE Computantional Intelligence Society
- Agile Manifesto
- Orcid (http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6550-3547)
Psychological Profile (ENFJ): Read my psychological report